- Hike on your own with the provided walking poles and round-trip transfers
- Check out a landscape with lava flows, volcanic craters, and alpine lakes
- Hear commentary about the region during the drive from Turangi
- Suitable for people who enjoy self-guided hiking on rugged terrain
Departure & Return
Please arrive and/or be ready at least 15 minutes before your depart time. Please inform us where your Turangi hotel / accommodation is for pick up. Or from between the BP Station and Turangi iSITE information center. Inform us at least 24 hours prior to your confirmed booking. Must be waiting out front roadside as you may not be alone, as others will also be on route.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- If you have any medical concerns please seek advice from a legal Practitioner before attempting any ‘outdoor’ activities. Participation is at your own risk and therefore no further liability will be made towards the transport operator.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 33 travelers
- OPERATED BY Backyard Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "The crossing itself was difficult but what an experience of a lifetime!!" See review