Are you interested in?
- Get an insider's look at sumo while witnessing morning practice at a local sumo 'stable'
- Watch these imposing athletes as they undergo their daily training regimen
- Learn about the traditions of sumo, dating back to the 16th century
- Discover new insights into the sumo competition process, including Japan's six annual grant tournaments
- Great way to gain a newfound appreciation for Japanese sports and culture
Departure & Return
Departure PointRYŌGOKU STATION, 1-chōme-3-20 Yokoami, Sumida City, Tokyo 130-0015, Japan
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Learn more about the traditions of this ancient sport, during your visit, discovering its ancient connections to Japanese Shinto traditions which date back to the 16th century. You also find out more about the country’s six grand tournaments, which are typically hosted in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, and Fukuoka.
Watch in awe as these imposing wrestlers put themselves through their daily training paces at the stable, getting a newfound appreciation for the discipline and commitment required by these amazing competitors. Return back to your original departure spot at the end of your experience.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 10 years old. (Under 10 could not enter the stable.)
- Practice is to be watched in silence with respect
- Eating and drinking is not allowed
- Cellphones must be silenced
- Photos can be taken but only without flash or shutter sounds
- Sunglasses and hats are not permitted in the stable
- *Minimum numbers apply (2 people). There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered full refund and notified 3 days in advance.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- OPERATED BY Japan Wonder Travel
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Sumo stable Morning Training Watching Tour .