- Discover Matsushima with a cycling trip and one-way train ticket from Tokyo
- Save money by taking a day trip that also includes a one-way transfer from Tokyo
- Experience a traditional Japanese tea ceremony held in a room normally off-limits to the general public
- Explore the wealth of historic temples found in this scenic Japanese city
- Cruise along the shore of scenic Matsushima Bay during a sightseeing cruise
- Includes admission fees, bicycle rental, tea ceremony, and tea tasting
- Price may vary depending on the size of your group
Departure & Return
Departure PointMatsushima Kaigan, Namiuchihama Matsushima, Miyagi District, Miyagi 981-0213, Japan
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Your first stop will be the city’s Kanrantei Tea House, an important historic site where you’ll observe a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. Admire the elegant, artful preparation steps of this uniquely Japanese ritual, held in the facility’s Goza-no-ma room that’s typically off-limits to the public. Enjoy the view of Matsushima Bay just outside as you sip your steaming cup of ‘matcha’ (powdered green tea).
Continue the day by climbing aboard a bike to begin a two-wheel discovery of some of Matsushima’s most historic temples. Pedal past ancient religious sites like Zuiganji Temple, Godaido Temple, Entsuin Temple, and the Pine Tree of Saigyo Modoshi. Before continuing you’ll have time for lunch (at your own expense) at a local restaurant featuring options including sushi, yakiniku, izakaya-style food, oysters, other seafood, and shojin cuisine (vegetarian).
Next, you’ll join a sightseeing cruise on Matsushima Bay, enjoying the city’s spectacular scenery from the water. The tour ends at Matsushima-Kaigan Station.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Group discount is available
- The bullet train ticket will be mailed to your accommodation in Tokyo. Please make sure to provide the address of your accommodation at checkout
- Photos are not allowed at the Goza-no-ma room of Kanrantei Tea House to preserve the historical wall paintings as an important cultural property of Japan
- You will take the train from Tokyo to Matsushima-Kaigan Station
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If it rains heavily, the tour will be on foot
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Beauty of Japan
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas