- Learn about Mt. Vesuvius and the AD 79 eruption that buried Pompeii
- Wander amid Pompeii’s ruins and see the Temple of Jupiter and ancient markets
- Hike up the side of Mt. Vesuvius and learn about its history from an alpine guide
Departure & Return
Please meet our Guide by the entrance of "Gray Line - IAMME IA!" office located behind the statue of Torquato Tasso, nearby the Bar Fauno, next to the Fattoria Terranova shop. We suggest to arrive at meeting point 10 minutes prior to the departure.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
As you explore, learn about the destructive volcanic eruption of AD 79 that buried the ancient city for centuries. The ash and molten lava that streamed out of Mt. Vesuvius preserved the town remarkably, and many original landmarks can be found around the site. See the old public baths, the Macellum (market), and the Temple of Jupiter, and hear about their history from your guide.
After a break for lunch at your own expense, continue with a drive up the slopes of Mt. Vesuvius. Stretch your legs on a short hike up to the crater’s lip and learn about the infamous volcano from a mountain guide. Make use of some free time to gaze out over the Bay of Naples, then return to your transport for the drive back to Sorrento.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Duration may vary due to traffic condition or unforeseen circumstances
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- In case the Vesuvius will be closed due to bad weather, in alternative will be provided a panoramic tour of Naples and no refund will be offered
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- IMPORTANT NOTE: From the 6th August to enter the ruins of Pompeii, as per law, it's required the Green Pass, so make sure to have all the documentation otherwise the access will be forbidden.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 29 travelers
- OPERATED BY Travel etc. - Gray Line Amalfi Coast
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "Wear closed toe shoes as the terrain is loose and dusty." See review
- "Try to do this in the spring or fall, as the heat can get quite uncomfortable, especially in Pompeii." See review
- "The hike to Vesuvius can be tough if you are expecting, elderly, or have any sort of medical/physical constraints, but it is well worth it for the views and memories." See review