1 to 4 hours (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Explore the geothermal landscape of Rotorua at your own pace on this self-guided Waimangu hiking tour. Follow winding hiking trails through Waimangu — the world’s youngest geothermal system — and marvel at the scenery you find. Admire unique geothermal features including Frying Pan Lake, Inferno Crater Lake and Lake Rotomahana, and enjoy breathtaking views over hot springs and steam vents throughout the forest and grasslands. Along the way, gain insight into the geothermal activity from your guide sheet and watch for the native plant and animal life for which Waimangu is famous. Enjoy a much needed rest and take advantage of the shuttle bus to return you to the start at the end of your hike.
- Independent hiking tour of Waimangu, Rotorua
- Explore hiking trails through Waimangu at your own pace
- Read your guide sheet for information on geothermal features including Inferno Crater Lake and Lake Rotomahana
- Watch hot springs and steam vents bubbling and spurting in the forests and grasslands
- Gain insight into the region’s diverse plant and animal life
- Shuttle bus service from hiking trail end
Saved to wishlist!
Admission Fee for Self-Guided Walk
Internal Shuttle Bus
Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
Food and drinks (available to purchase)
Transport to/from attractions
Departure & Return
587 Waimangu Road, Bay of Plenty 3073, New Zealand
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required. Passenger must provide their own carer.
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Waimangu Volcanic Valley
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- "Definitely worth the visit Morning is best when the weather is cold A lot more visible steam rising Easy walk down and the benefit of getting the bus back up" See review
Compare Similar Experiences
Volcanic Valley Self Guided Walking and Hiking at Waimangu
60 to 240 minutes
1 hour 30 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
4WD ToursSporting EventsNature and WildlifeExtremeEco ToursWalking ToursHistorical ToursWalking & Biking ToursCultural & Theme ToursSightseeing Tickets & PassesOutdoor ActivitiesTours & SightseeingRotorua4WD Tours - North IslandSporting Events - North IslandNature and Wildlife - North IslandExtreme - North IslandEco Tours - North IslandWalking Tours - North IslandHistorical Tours - North Island4WD Tours - TaurangaSporting Events - TaurangaNature and Wildlife - TaurangaExtreme - TaurangaEco Tours - TaurangaWalking Tours - TaurangaHistorical Tours - Tauranga4WD Tours - Tongariro National ParkSporting Events - Tongariro National ParkNature and Wildlife - Tongariro National ParkExtreme - Tongariro National ParkEco Tours - Tongariro National ParkWalking Tours - Tongariro National ParkHistorical Tours - Tongariro National ParkCategory
Lake Rotokakahi (Green Lake)Mt. TaraweraParadise Valley Springs Wildlife ParkLake RotoruaTe PuiaRedwoods Forest WhakarewarewaLake Tikitapu (Blue Lake)Rainbow Springs Nature ParkVelocity ValleyRotorua Museum (Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa)Sulphur PointGovernment Gardens RotoruaRangitaiki RiverPolynesian SpaHell's Gate Geothermal ParkLake RotoitiBuried Village of Te WairoaAgrodomeBlue BathsMaori Arts and Crafts Institute (Te Puia)