Explore our promoted experiences
- Private art history walking tour of central Paris
- Explore Les Invalides with your art historian guide and admire its monuments and museums
- Visit the Rodin Museum and marvel at famous works such as ‘The Thinker’ and ‘The Gates of Hell’
- Learn about the many important events that have taken place there over the centuries
- Admire the tomb of Napoléon Bonaparte
- Discover the 17th-century Royal Church of St Louis
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Hear how King Louis XIV commissioned Les Invalides in 1676 to provide accommodation to 4,000 disabled war veterans, and learn how it now incorporates several monuments and museums, including the tomb of Napoléon Bonaparte and Musée de l'Armée (Army Museum).
Admire the classical exterior and then explore the main museums, including the Musée de l'Armée and Musée des Plans-Relief (Museum of Relief Maps). Inspect the collections of armory and artillery drawn from the 13th to the 20th centuries, and view the scale models of fortified cities and towns showcased in the relief-map exhibition.
Learn the background to key exhibits and how in 1789, the mobs of the French Revolution broke into the building and stole the weaponry they used to storm the Bastille.
Stroll inside the St Louis-des-Invalides Cathedral, whose walls are hung with historical military banners, and see Napoléon’s tomb in the Dôme des Invalides (Dome Church). View the sarcophagus that holds the military leader’s six coffins and hear how his remains were transferred here in 1861 after his death in exile on St Helena.
Afterward, head along the Boulevard des Invalides to the Musée Rodin (Rodin Museum), where many sculptures and works by the great French artist Auguste Rodin are housed in an 18th-century mansion and gardens.
Follow your guide around the indoor and garden collections, and take in highlights such as the The Thinker and The Kiss as you gain insight into Rodin’s life and work.
Your tour then concludes at the museum.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A moderate amount of walking is involve; please wear appropriate footwear
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY ARTSTUR Ltd
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by Private Tour: Les Invalides, Napoleon, and Musée Rodin Walking Tour.