10 hours (Approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Good for avoiding crowds
Observe Sumatran orangutans in the wild on a privately guided rainforest trek through Gunung Leuser National Park. You’re picked up by private vehicle in Medan and driven to Bukit Lawang, the launching point for your approximate 6-hour round-trip hike. Your knowledgeable personal guide leads you past a variety of tropical flora to the feeding grounds of these magnificent apes, who share the UNESCO World Heritage site with many of Sumatra’s biodiverse inhabitants including elephants, rhinos, leopards, gibbons and more. Lunch is included with your full-day wildlife encounter.
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Lunch included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Close encounter with wildlife
Saved to wishlist!
A full-day tour with a professional English-speaking guide
Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle with professional driver
Lunch at a local restaurant (food only)
All entrance and donation fees for visits as mentioned in the description
Free Wi-Fi available during the transfer
All applicable taxes and service charges
Camera and video fees (to be paid on spot)
Tours, inclusions of any kind and other services that are not outlined in the tour description
Personal expenses such as meals, drinks, tips and gratuities
Hotel accommodation in the destination of commencement.
Single supplement charges for single travelers, where applicable
Any airline tickets, visa fees, additional transportation cost from and to the general meeting point
Supplement for transfers outside the general pick up and drop off area
Hotel expenses of a personal nature, should an overnight be included
Travel insurance coverage for customers (highly recommendable)
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- This tour is operated on full private basis with English-speaking guide.
- Return transfers for this excursion apply only / are inclusive for customers staying in downtown Medan. Transfers outside these areas, including Binjai, Belawan, Perbaungan, Manado Airport and main harbour are excluded. Supplements apply for customers who want to join this excursion outside one of these regions
- We regret to inform you that this excursion is not suitable for wheelchair users
- Part of this excursion includes walking over unpaved roads and paths
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This may not suit guests with walking issues. Bear in mind that such paths may turn slippery / muddy after a rain shower
- We suggest wearing good walking shoes, preferred closed shoes. This tour includes driving over uneven paths, surfaces and off-road bumpy roads, unsuitable for pregnant women, people with neck and back problems and those with limited mobility
- It is highly recommended to bring a copy of your passport with you during this hiking / trekking tour.
- We always will make efforts to confirm the exact pick-up time upon reservation. For any operational issues in which are not able to confirm the exact pick-up time in advance, we reserve the right to inform you the day before the departure of the tour
- Please note pick-up and drop-off services may not be confirmed for customers staying at private residences, apartment complexes, or other non-registered tourism accommodations. Customers may be asked to meet at a nearby hotel for pick-up and drop off
- Due to the absence of ATM machines and credit cards payment portals, particularly on islands and inside nature reserves, we highly recommend to bring sufficient cash with you.
- Certain sights in this excursion may not be photographed for specific reasons. We kindly ask for your understanding by following local regulations (applicable fees apply).
- Natural elements of any kind have a destructive effect on electronic equipment. It is the customer’s own responsibility to ensure that any camera, mobile telephone or other device is properly wrapped and protected against these elements. We cannot be held responsible in any way for negligence and/or not following suggestions for any damage related to this
- Please ensure that you bring sunglasses, a hat /cap and sunblock with a high SPF factor when traveling with us on this tour – even when it is cloudy, the sunrays still have an immense power
- We reserve the right to make necessary changes to the excursion in case of unfavourable weather conditions or situations where we are forced to make alterations to guarantee the safety of our guests
- The protection of the country’s flora and fauna is of immense importance for us. We will not pursue any activities for guests that are not in line with our animal, wildlife and environment protection principles.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to provide us with the correct hotel information, should pick-up and drop-off services be included in the package. Any changes in accommodation outside 24 hours will be handled accordingly: changes within 24 hours may be on request
- In the event of no-show or change of accommodation without prior consent and confirmation from us within 24 hours may result in the applicable cancellation charges as outlined in the terms and conditions
- This tour excludes any feeding of the wildlife. It is not possible to guarantee the presence of orangutans during this tour as they commonly live quite a secluded life.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Asian Trails LTD
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during Meet the Orangutans of Gunung Leuser?
A:The policies on face masks and attendee health are:
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
What is the policy on sanitization during Meet the Orangutans of Gunung Leuser?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
What is the social distancing policy during Meet the Orangutans of Gunung Leuser?
A:The policy on social distancing is:
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
What measures are being taken to ensure staff health & safety during Meet the Orangutans of Gunung Leuser?
A:The policies on staff health & safety are:
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
Compare Similar Experiences
Meet the Orangutans of Gunung Leuser
5 hours 15 minutes
9 hours 30 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Bus ToursNature and WildlifeFull-day ToursDay Trips & ExcursionsOutdoor ActivitiesPrivate & Custom ToursTours & SightseeingMedanBus Tours - SumatraNature and Wildlife - SumatraFull-day Tours - SumatraBus Tours - PenangNature and Wildlife - PenangFull-day Tours - PenangBus Tours - Petaling JayaNature and Wildlife - Petaling JayaFull-day Tours - Petaling JayaCategory