2 to 3 hours (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Explore our promoted experiences
The UNESCO-listed Sassi di Matera is both captivating and mysterious. With this guided tour, take a deep dive into the history of this unique rupestrian city, named a 2019 European Capital of Culture. Explore its hidden dwellings and churches carved directly into the cliff, the setting for a number of films, including Ben Hur. Cap off the tour with a tasting of local specialties from Matera.
- Learn about the history of the Sassi di Matera with the help of a guide
- See the highlights of this city carved directly into the cliff face
- Entrance to the rupestrian churches and Casa Grotta cave dwelling
- Tasting of local specialties from Matera
Saved to wishlist!
Transportation to/from attractions
Departure & Return
Via Alessandro Volta, 3, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
Corner Via Ridola - Chiesa del Purgatorio
Via Bruno Buozzi, 75100 Matera MT, Italy
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- OPERATED BY Martulli Viaggi
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Compare Similar Experiences
Guided Tour of Matera Sassi
2 to 3 hours
1 hour 50 minutes
1 hour 15 minutes
1 hour 30 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Walking ToursHistorical ToursWalking & Biking ToursCultural & Theme ToursTours & SightseeingMateraWalking Tours - BariHistorical Tours - BariWalking Tours - Alberobello & LocorotondoHistorical Tours - Alberobello & LocorotondoWalking Tours - SalernoHistorical Tours - SalernoCategory