- Admission ticket to King John’s Castle in Limerick
- Explore the shell of the 13th-century Norman castle as you wish
- Chart the castle’s story via the animations and touchscreens at the Visitor Centre
- See a replica medieval tent and weaponry and coinage displays
- Climb the tower for stellar views over Limerick and the River Shannon
- Enjoy the family-friendly Activity Room and café
Departure & Return
|Monday - Sunday:||09:30 AM - 05:00 PM|
What To Expect
This 13th-century castle stands on King’s Island beside the River Shannon in medieval Limerick, and underwent a multi-million euro revamp in 2013, including the building of a state-of-the-art Visitor Centre.
Once inside, explore the fortress and Visitor Centre at your own pace, enjoying the historical atmosphere, battlements, and interactive exhibitions.
Wander around the ruined banqueting hall, learn about the carpentry, weaponry, masonry and coinage displays from the costumed actor-guides, and explore the replica medieval tent, blacksmiths’ forge, and siege recreations in the courtyard. Plus, ascend the tower to admire the 360-degree views over Limerick and the riverside.
Journey back in time at the Visitor Centre, charting the story of King John, the brother of Richard the Lionheart, and the fortress’ history via interactive touchscreens, 3D models, and interpretive displays. Immerse yourself in the computer generated animations and holographic projections, and watch the children enjoy the fun audio-visual tasks in the Education and Activity Room.
Perhaps cap your visit at the café, relaxing over snacks (own expense) while enjoying the castle and river views.
Your experience ends when you take your leave of the castle.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Audio-visual presentation available in English only. Leaflets are available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Polish.
- The Castle Café serves tea, coffee, soup, sandwiches and freshly made desserts.
- Gift Shop sells souvenirs, crafts and books.
- Free car parking available opposite the castle. Two free coach parking spaces on street outside.
- The exhibition and interpretative areas are wheelchair accessible but assistance would be required for courtyard access. Accessible toilet is available.
- Subject to additional charges on dates that special events are running.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- OPERATED BY Shannon Heritage
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms