Are you interested in?
Departure & Return
Departure PointLeh, Ladakh
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- You will be landing at the Leh airport which is one of the most picturesque airports that you would come across. Just before the touchdown time, you'll be greeted with the entire range of snow-capped peaks that will surely get you wonderstruck. It's important to keep your warmies handy as you'll fell the sudden drop in temperature as soon as you arrive at the Leh airport.
- A jacket, woolen gloves and a woolen cap is a necessity. After reaching the guesthouse you will be given enough time to relax and acclimatize to the conditions. It is also important to keep your body hydrated by increasing the intake of fluids that will help to maintain your body temperature.
- Keeping in mind the health problems that trekkers are facing (AMS), as per the new regulations applied, anyone doing the Chadar Trek should be atleast spending three days in Leh to get your body fully acclimatize to the weather conditions. It is irrevocable and it is important that it is strictly followed by every trekker. You can spend the day by shopping at the Leh Market.
- It is very important that you get used to the cold temperature in Leh because the temperature will only tend to fall as you start walking on the frozen Zanskar. From the end of January to mid-February, the temperature can be anything between -10 to -15 degrees during the day. It is advisable that you avoid visiting places which are at a higher altitude. Crosscheck you essentials before going to bed.
- As per the J&K Government guidelines, on Day 3 All the Trekkers must get a Medical Check up done at Sonam Norbhu Memorial Hospital. After clearance of Medical Officer only, Wildlife permits, Insurance and other necessary documents will be issued to Trekkers
- Before starting the trek today if you feel like opting out from the trek then you have a easy escape to “Flavor of Winter Ladakh" (only first 5 people and opt out)
- Walking with you gumboots on will definitely be a challenge in the initial stage. Understanding the ice patterns will take time, slowly but steadily you will know which surface is fragile and which is trustworthy. There are multiple number of ice surfaces that you would come across while walking on the mighty Zanskar and as you start walking you will know more about it.
- Planting your foot will be important in most of the cases, you can check for the ice for its steadiness with your walking stick before stepping on it wholeheartedly. A small and light backpack will help as you will able to manage your body weight in an effective mannerYou will head toward the first campsite of the Trek, Gyalpo.
- Chadar is one such trek where you are not gaining altitude in quick successions. Slowly but gradually from Gyalpo to Tibb Cave (6-7 hours), you will be gaining an altitude of 300ft. After spending a cold night in the tent at Gyalpo get done with your breakfast that will re-energize your senses in the morning.
- The much needed hot cup of tea will be special in such frosty conditions. As you start heading to the next campsite which is Tibb Cave, this trek route has some of the most eye-catching frozen waterfalls that you'll see. Waterfalls that stand frozen in time. The source of some of these frozen waterfalls is still unknown and there are a lot of myths amongst the villagers.
- The mighty Zanskar will be flowing all along with you on the trail and the emerald green water will have a smoothing effect. You will be served lunch midway to Tibb cave. After walking for a couple of hours you'll come across different rock patterns along the way which look artistic when the sun rays fall on them making their way from behind the clouds. You will be camping near the Tibb cave which is surrounded by dry sand.
- Porter to carry the personal luggage (max 10 Kg) : INR 4500
- Porter to carry the personal luggage & to be your personal companion throughout the trek: INR 8500.
- Own a Brand New a Sleeping Bag of temperature Range -10: INR 2500
- Personal Oxygen Can of 500 ml (6 L oxygen):INR 650 per piece
- Experience of trekking or good fitness level.
- The climber must be fit and have sufficient stamina to cover 5 km of distance in 45 minutes without a stress.
- The climber should be able to carry a 10 kg backpack.
- Heart problem, high blood pressure, asthma, and epilepsy cannot be reconciled on this mission. The climber must not have the conditions mentioned above
- How to Reach
- By Air:
- Flying over miles and miles of heavily snowed mountains will tell you just why it’s impossible to reach Ladakh by road in the winters. Jet Airways, Air India and Go Air provide daily (once every day) flight service between New Delhi and Leh. However if you plan a trip to this area of the country, you must try to book your tickets well in advance.
- This might even cut down the prices which may be levied on booking at the last time. You would enjoy the flight as you would fly over many untouched areas and even some mountain ranges. The aerial view is just fascinating and gives a great start to your tour.
- Trek Essentials:
- Basics Gear:
- Backpack & rain cover- (50 - 60 ltr) with comfortable shoulder straps
- Daypack + rain cover- 20 - 30 ltr (If hire a mule or porter)
- Walking stick- Advisable (At least one)
- Head torch- 1 Nos. (Hand torch would be an alternative)
- Water bottle/Hydration pack- 2 bottles of one litre each (People who use hydration pack) (1 hydration pack and 1 bottle of one litre)
- Snacks- Energy bars, dry fruits, electoral/ors
- Personal Medical Kit- Consult your doctor
- Be comfy at the trek
- Trek pants- 2 Synthetic (avoid shorts, fitting denims, capris)
- T-shirts- 2 Full sleeves (Non-cotton)
- Fleece T-shirts- 1 Nos
- Fleece jacket- 1 Nos. (Alternative: a woollen sweater)
- Down feather jacket- 1 Nos.
- Wind & waterproof jacket & pant 1 Pair
- Thermal inners-1 Pair
- Poncho-1 Nos
- Personal Utilities
- Sunscreen cream
- Hand sanitizer
- Antibacterial powder
- Lip balm
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Toilet Paper & wipes
- Quick dry towel
- Think about your head
- Sun cap- 1 Nos. (One that covers the neck as well)
- Woolen cap-1 Nos.
- Balaclava-1 Nos.
- Neck-gaiters- 1 Nos.
- Sunglasses (Dark with side cover, it should be U/V protected.)
- People who wear spectacles-
- Use contact lenses. (Not for Chadar trek)
- Photo chromatic glasses.
- Mind your step
- Trekking shoes -1 Pair (Waterproof, high ankle with good grip)
- Floaters/flip-flops (1 Pair (Optional))
- Cotton socks- 4 pairs
- Woollen socks- 2 pairs
- Gumboots-Compulsory for this trek
- Person who fails in the medical test will not be allowed to go for the trek
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- OPERATED BY Thrillophilia
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
See all safety measures taken by Chadar Trek - The Frozen River Trek - 9 Day Expedition.