- 12-hour Nicaragua tour from La Fortuna, Costa Rica
- Travel to some of the 36 islands on Lake Nicaragua
- Visit the village on Mancarrón, the biggest island in the Solentiname archipelago
- Have a lunch of Nicaraguan cuisine with fresh fish
Departure & Return
Drive in to the parking area and ask to the reception about Ecoterra Costa Rica Tours
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Pass through the border control in Los Chiles and transfer to your Nicaraguan transportation for the scenic ride to San Carlos, Nicaragua. Along the way, cross the Santa Fe Bridge, which spans the San Juan River — the natural border between Costa Rica and Nicaragua.
Upon arrival in San Carlos, take a guided journey through the historic city streets of La Fortaleza, El Mirador, and Malecon. Afterward, board a speedboat to explore the main attraction of the day: Nicaragua Lake, the second largest lake in Latin America and the only place in the world where freshwater sharks live.
Visit the Solentiname Archipelago, which contain 36 islands that have been declared a Nicaraguan National Monument. Stop at the islands of Zapote and Zapotillo, also known as the 'Bird Islands' due to the population of herons, pelicans, cormorants, roseate spoonbills, ospreys, and other bird species. Take a break at San Fernando island for a traditional Nicaraguan lunch that features fresh fish from the lake.
Next up, take a short boat ride to the island of Mancarron, the biggest and most popular island of the archipelago. Walk through the town to see the Archaeological Museum and attractions like a historical church or the workshops of local artists.
At the end of the day, head back to Costa Rica where your tour ends with drop-off at your hotel in La Fortuna.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- OPERATED BY Ecoterra Expeditions
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms