- Trekking adventure on Mendenhall Glacier
- Visit and learn about various habitats including rainforest and rocky terrain
- Hike around ice caves, streams and crevasses
- Hotel pickup and drop-off is included
Departure & Return
All 2021 guided trips will meet at our main office location at their scheduled tour start time for outfitting and transportation to/from tour site. Please contact for location details, parking, and information.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
The day begins with pickup from your Juneau hotel or the port. When you arrive at the trailhead for the Mendenhall Glacier, follow your guides on a 3.5-mile (6-km) trail through the rain forest along Mendenhall Lake. While the first mile is on a well-maintained path with a few switchbacks, the rest of the trail involves hiking on bedrock and rock scrambling in steep areas.
When you reach the glacier, you’ll be outfitted in trekking gear and receive a safety briefing. You’ll use crampons to make your way across glacial terrain that overlooks Mendenhall Lake. It may be the most physically challenging part of the hike, but it’s an unforgettable experience. Climb down to explore ice caves, and soak up great views of crevasses, streams, and other breathtaking glacial formations.
Afterward, head back down the trail and enjoy a relaxing ride back to your drop-off location.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- You must include the following in the comments section when booking: raingear & shoe sizes for each passenger, (for adult men and women, S-XXL and youth, S-L) and any pertinent medical information. Smallest shoe size that can be accommodated is Youth 2 and largest is Adult 14.
- This small group adventure has a minimum of 2 and maximum of 12 participants
- Minimum age is 10 years
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant on the trip must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver is not permitted
- Clients must be in good enough shape and conditioned to hike for up to 6-6.5 hours, covering about 8 miles roundtrip. The hike is challenging and clients need to bring sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle support while hiking on rocky terrain. All clients will need to hike with a backpack the entire way on this trip. The backpack (provided) weighs approximately 10-15 pounds and holds mountaineering gear, snacks/water, etc.
- Visiting specific features such as ice caves, moulins, etc. cannot be guaranteed due to the constantly changing nature of the Mendenhall glacier. Your guide will assess the hazards the day of the trip and determine if a particular area is safe enough to trek upon or enter
- Hiking boots with with good stability and traction
- Comfortable hiking pants
- Warm sweater or fleece pullover
- Warm hat
- Fleece gloves
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Safety harnesses fit up to 42 inch waist size and 28" inch leg size. Not able to accommodate larger waist/leg sizes.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Above and Beyond Alaska
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by Mendenhall Glacier Trek.