Explore our promoted experiences
- Full-day private trip to Spinalonga Island from north Crete
- Ride a boat to Spinalonga, formerly a Venetian fortress and leper colony
- Tour the crumbled fortifications, streets, churches, and houses
- Learn why the lepers were confined here and how they lived
- Coach transport, Spinalonga boat ride, and pickup and drop-off at select north-coast hotels included
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
What To Expect
On route, hear about Spinalonga, the island facing Elounda in the Gulf of Mirabello. Once joined to the mainland, this now-uninhabited island houses a ruined 16th-century Venetian fortress, originally built to defend the bay. After the Venetians left, it was used as an Ottoman settlement and then a leper colony from 1903 to 1957.
Go ashore and tour the one-time colony buildings (own expense). Enter through the main gate as the arriving lepers did a century ago, and explore the market street, churches, hospital, houses, and Venetian fortifications. Learn about the lives of those confined here, and hear how Spinalonga has featured in recent books, movies, and various TV series.
Then, sail to nearby Kolokytha Island (additional cost). Enjoy an optional swim in the crystal-clear seas and savor a delicious barbecue lunch. Finally, sail back to Elounda, and enjoy a sightseeing drive around nearby Agios Nikolaos, admiring its harbor and Lake Voulismeni, known as the ‘bottomless lake.’
Your trip finishes back at the original starting point.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Dress code is smart casual
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please note that hotel pick up/ drop off is included only for the preselected areas.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- OPERATED BY MTM D.M.C Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff