- Private tour of the Coptic sites of Cairo
- Learn about the history of Christianity in Egypt
- See the oldest Christian church in Egypt, The Hanging Church
- Visit Abu Serga, one of the places the Holy family rested when fleeing Israel
- Ben Ezra Synagogue, one of the oldest synagogues in Egypt
- Visit to the Coptic Museum
- Enjoy privileged, personalized attention from your expert Egyptologist guide on this special private tour
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
- Cairo Intl Airport, Cairo Egypt
What To Expect
Head into Coptic Cairo, an area also known as Old Cairo. This colorful quarter is the original home of the Coptic Christians, one of the world’s oldest Christian denominations.
Stop to see the Hanging Church, aka St Virgin Mary’s Church. Built in the 7th century, this old church takes its name from its location: sited above a gateway in the old Roman fortress. Admire the courtyard and interiorwith its screens, marble pulpit and icons, and hear about its long history.
Next, after a visit to the Monastery and Church of St George, an early 20th-century church that is the only round church in Egypt, call at Abu Serga, a 5th-century Coptic church. View the 24 interior columns and 12th-century icons on the walls, and learn how the church stands where the holy family is thought to have stayed during their flight into Egypt from Israel’s King Herod.
Then, take a look at the Ben Ezra Synagogue, once a Christian church, before finishing your tour at the Coptic Museum, located in one of Coptic Cairo’s oldest areas. See some of the 16,000 ancient artifacts on display, including precious icons and books that illustrate the history of Egypt’s Coptic community.
Before your tour ends, take the opportunity to visit a papyrus institute to see artisans paint on this natural material, and perhaps purchase some artworks.
Your 3-hour tour then ends with a hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY South Sinai Travel
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
See all safety measures taken by Private Tour: Coptic Cairo, The Hanging Church, Abu Serga, Ben Ezra.