- Tour the coral reefs just off the Big Island aboard a glass-bottom boat
- Experience the magical underwater world of Hawaii without ever getting wet
- Travel aboard a custom-built boat designed to glide over shallow reefs
- Admire rainbow-colored tropical fish, beautiful coral, dolphins, and humpback whales
- Learn about the geology and ecology of Hawaii
- Perfect trip for families and children
- Great way to experience Hawaii's marine life
Departure & Return
Kailua Pier, right in the village of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island (Big Island) Across from King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel (75-5660 Palani Rd 96740) a good place to park! Tour departs midway down pier on left side. Look for blue and yellow flags on boat mast.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Check in for your morning boat ride at Kailua Pier, climbing down into the viewing area of your totally custom-built 36-foot (10-meter) boat. Grab a seat on a cushioned couch alongside one of the boat’s four viewing windows and receive an introduction and overview of your trip from your on-board naturalist.
Cruise out into the mellow waters just off the Big Island as you admire some of this amazing coastline’s unique coral reefs. Your unique shallow-bottom boat can get right up to the edge of these amazing underwater wildlife areas, offering you the perfect view. As you gaze in amazement at the colorful fish and corals below, listen as your naturalist narrator shares a few insights into reefs and the ecological forces that shape them. Learn where some of Hawaii’s beautiful white sand comes from and get a peek “behind the curtain” of fish mating rituals.
Continue your ride by proceeding into deeper waters, allowing you views of an amazing underwater pinnacle and a chance to watch as the bottom quickly drops off into the deep ocean. As you ride, you might even have the chance to spot spinner dolphins and (depending on the season) humpback whales. And if you get tired for some reason of the views from below, turn your gaze toward the horizon, where you’ll be able to spot historic shoreline sights like Hulihee Palace, Mokuaikaua Church and Kamakahonu (where King Kamehameha I made his home in his final years), plus much more.
Finish your magical experience along Hawaii’s beautiful coast by traveling back to Kailua Pier.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Child rate applies only when sharing with one paying adult
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A maximum of 24 people per booking
- This tour requires reconfirmation with the local supplier
- Departs from Kailua Pier, on the Big Island of Hawaii. The pier is adjacent to the Courtyard Marriott King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel, 75-5660 Palani Rd., Kailua-Kona, HI
- Tour departs midway down pier on left side. Look for blue and yellow flags on boat mast.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- OPERATED BY Kona Glassbottom Boat
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Glass-bottom Boat Reef Tour.