- Full-day excursion to the Lamanai Mayan ruins
- Wildlife-spotting cruise along the New River
- Short jungle hike to the Lamanai Mayan site
- Lunch by the lagoon
- Free time for rainforest sightseeing
- Pickup and drop off from most Belize City hotels
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
We pick up from all hotels and Air B&Bs in Belize City.
What To Expect
Keep an eye out for many native bird species, including falcons, hawks, kites, and elegant jacanas treading on lily pads. Tropical orchids, bromeliads, and hardwood line the riverbanks, making for a beautiful journey toward the New River Lagoon. Here, you’ll get your first glimpse of the impressive stone ruins of Lamanai rising out of the jungle. After stepping back on to land, tour the site museum for some background on the ancient Maya and view artifacts found at the ruins.
From here, a 1.5-mile (2.5km) hike will take you deeper into the jungle to the heart of the ancient city. A cluster of ceremonial structures appear through the lush rainforest, while the call of birds and howler monkeys provides a soundtrack for the mystical scene. You’ll see the Jaguar Temple, the well-preserved mask of the Mayan Sun God Kinich Ahau, carved stone stelae, the Mask Temple, and the imposing High Temple, which rises above the treetops.
After touring the ruins with your guide, enjoy lunch on the side of the nearby lagoon. You’ll then have some time to explore the site on your own before making the journey back to your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Cruise port pickup and drop off not available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 200 travelers
- OPERATED BY Discovery Belize Ltd.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Lamanai and the New River Safari in Belize.