- Stroll through off-the-beaten-path residential areas with your guide
- Visit local bakeries, restaurants, specialty shops and an open-air market
- Taste traditional foods and ingredients such as souvlaki, honey, olive oil and Greek coffee
- Small group of 12 people or fewer ensures a more personal experience
Departure & Return
The tour starts at the MAIN entrance of PUBLIC store located at the lower part of Syntagma square, next to the Everest store (be careful, there is a side entrance on Karageorgis Servias street, this is NOT the main entrance)
What To Expect
Take off walking through the residential areas of Athens, in which you will get see a true slice of everyday life. Visit nearly a dozen carefully selected specialty food stores, favorites of the locals, to taste traditional Greek foods.
Bite into some 'pastoruma', or cured meat, and taste local honey, cheese and olive oil. Sip aromatic Greek coffee (erroneously known as 'Turkish' coffee in many parts of the world). Get familiar with some of the local spices that are the basis for Greek cooking, a multi-sensory experience for the eyes, nose and mouth. Stroll through the bustling alleys of Varvakios, the fish, meat and vegetable market known as the true 'belly of Athens'. Visit local bakeries and pastry shops serving traditional Greek sweets, including the famous souvlaki. Along the way, enjoy informative commentary from your guide on the culinary history and traditions of this ancient city.
Finish your tour with a full stomach and a better understanding of Greek culinary culture.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- We recommend you have a light breakfast as there will be plenty to taste during your tour!
- At the end of the tour, lunch won't be necessary!
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with constraining dietary restrictions or severe food allergies
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Alternative Athens
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Small Group, Delicious Athens Food Tour.
- "I highly recommend this tour to be the first thing you do when getting here!" See review