- 3-hour private tour of Kalabsha Temple from Aswan, with an expert guide
- Visit this stunning Nubian temple, one of the lesser-known jewels on the banks of Lake Nasser
- Admire the façade and stroll around the court, hypostyle hall, columns and sanctuary
- Inspect the wall reliefs of Egyptian and Roman motifs, and examples of Christian imagery
- Learn about the temple’s ancient history and how it was moved here to save it from flooding
- Enjoy one-to-one attention from a private Egyptologist guide on this private tour
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Enjoy the views of the palm groves and desert landscapes as you drive southward to the banks of Lake Nasser. As you travel, hear from your Egyptologist guide explains how Kalabsha was one of 18 monuments relocated in the 1960s to its current position to protect it from flooding after the construction of the Aswan High Dam.
Hear how the building, regarded as one of the best examples of a free-standing Nubian temple, was dismantled and then rebuilt on the banks of the newly formed lake.
On arrival, tour the court, halls and sanctuary as your guide recounts the temple’s history. Learn how it was largely completed, but never finished, under the rule of Roman Emperor Octavius Augustus in around 30 BC, and dedicated to the Nubian deity, Mandulis.
View the impressive pylon and undecorated façade, and then inspect the striking columns, hypostyle hall, sanctuary and reliefs, one of the latter depicting Augustus making an offering to Mandulis.
See the interesting reliefs of St George and Coptic crosses that testify to a period when the temple was used as a Christian church, and take in other carvings, including an inscription in Meroitic — an ancient language that’s still a mystery to today’s Egyptologists.
Having explored the temple, admire the beautiful views over Lake Nasser from the water’s edge, and then return to Aswan, where your tour ends with a hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY South Sinai Travel
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms