Paradeplatz (Parade Square)
Several city tours visit Paradeplatz along with the adjoining Bahnhofstrasse, with walking and coach tours both frequenting the area. Whether you’re interested in how the city’s trade history developed from pigs to pennies or you’d like to indulge your sweet tooth while learning more about Swiss chocolatiers, there are itineraries to suit you. Other options included self-led tours or highlights packages, some of which include a Lake Zurich cruise in the price.
Things to know before you go
- The flat, wide sidewalks are wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- The area is great for people watching from Café Sprüngli’s outdoor seats.
- Paradeplatz is uncovered, so wrap up warm in the colder months and bring an umbrella.
How to get there
From Zurich Station, Paradeplatz is just a ten-minute walk straight along Bahnhofstrasse or a 3-minute ride on the number 7, 10, 11, or 13 tram. Paid parking is available on Bahnhofstrasse and at the main station, though be aware that Zurich gets easily congested. Some day trip tours include round-trip transportation from other Swiss cities such as Basel or Lucerne.
When to get there
Though Paradeplatz can be visited at any time of year, the area is particularly charming around Christmas time, when the square and Bahnhofstrasse are both decorated with Christmas trees, fairy lights, and window displays.
The Swiss Pass and Zurich’s Museums
The streets around Paradeplatz are also home to a wealth of city museums, including the Clock and Watch Museum, the Strauhof, and the Toy Museum. Multi-attraction passes such as the Swiss Travel Pass or Zurich Card include free or discounted access to many of these museums as well as unlimited use of Zurich’s public transit network for a period of your choice.
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Montreux
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Geneva
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Alsace
- St. Peter Church (Kirche St. Peter)
- Fraumünster Church
- National Museum Zurich (Landesmuseum Zürich)
- Grossmünster Church
- Kunsthaus Zurich
- Lake Zurich (Zürichsee)
- Zurich Opera House (Opernhaus Zürich)
- Museum Rietberg
- Zurich Chinese Garden (Chinagarten)
- Zurich Old Town (Altstadt)
- Botanical Garden (University of Zurich)