National Museum of American History Tours and Activities
The larger-than-life Star Spangled Banner gallantly streams from the walls of the National Museum of American History in Washington DC. This top-rated museum showcases the best of American memorabilia and memorializes iconic eras, events, and people in American history. The most popular exhibit is the original Star-Spangled Banner, the flag that was raised at Fort McHenry in Baltimore on September 14, 1814 to celebrate a victory over the British forces in the war of 1812. Another popular exhibits showcase dresses American First Lady’s have worn. Other significant artifacts include Archie Bunker’s chair, Abraham Lincoln’s top hat, Dorothy’s ruby slippers from the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz, and a replica of an 18th-century Massachusetts home.
The National Museum of American History opened in 1964 under a different name. The Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark. Its basic mission is the collection, care, and study of objects that reflect the experience of the American people. For anyone interested in history, the American experience, and quirky artifacts, the National Museum of American History is a must-see museum in Washington DC.
Tours and Activities to Experience National Museum of American History
Frequently Asked Questions
- Washington DC Sightseeing Trolley Tour with 1 Stop
- Washington DC Monuments Bike Tour
- Half-Day Grand Tour of Washington DC
- Washington DC National Mall Night Tour - Stops at 10 Iconic Attractions!
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Newark
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New Jersey
- Things to do in New York