Whether you want to visit the marble fountain designed by the same team that created the Lincoln Monument or explore the hub of DC’s gay community, Dupont Circle has it all—and that’s just the beginning. You can learn about the historic architecture with a guided tour of the neighborhood and Embassy Row, sample authentic cuisine with an Italian food and wine tour, or stop by on a private sightseeing tour of DC.
Recent reviews from experiences in Washington DC
Things to Know Before You Go
- The area’s multiculturalism and historic sites make it an important stop on any DC tour.
- Look ahead for concerts and events at the numerous museums and other venues.
- Book lovers should allot time for the indie bookstore Kramerbooks & Afterwords Cafe.
- Bring a picnic lunch to eat by the fountain.
How to Get There
Dupont Circle is formed by the intersection of Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts avenues. However, driving is not recommended due to traffic and limited parking. Instead, take the red line on the Metrorail straight to the conveniently located Dupont Circle stop. If you would rather avoid the hassle of public transportation, opt for a hop-on hop-off bus tour or a tour with pickup and drop-off service from your hotel.
When to Get There
Dupont Circle is lively on any day of the week and in any season, but temperatures are best in the spring and fall. Art lovers should plan their trip on the first Friday of the month for the First Friday Dupont Art Walk. Visit on any Sunday for the year-round FarmFresh Dupont Circle Market—one of the best farmers markets in DC. To see the annual LGBTQ pride parade, visit in June.
Dupont Circle Nightlife With its many bars and clubs, Dupont Circle is one of Washington, DC’s top nightlife destinations. You can find salsa dancing at the Latin themed Cafe Citron, drag shows at Cobalt, and numerous Irish pubs all within a few blocks of the central plaza. Or, if you are dressed for the occasion, try to get inside the restored mansion that houses the exclusive Eighteenth Street Lounge.
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Virginia
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York
- Phillips Collection
- Anderson House (Society of the Cincinnati)
- Heurich House Museum
- Embassy Row
- Woodrow Wilson House
- National Geographic Museum
- House of the Temple
- Lafayette Square
- Adams Morgan
- Islamic Mosque of Washington DC
- Decatur House
- St. John’s Church
- Rock Creek Park
- Renwick Gallery
- Eisenhower Executive Office Building