Vilnius University (Vilniaus Universitetas) Tours and Activities
As one of the oldest universities in Eastern Europe, Vilnius’ seat of learning opened in 1579 and has since been extended to incorporate just about every architectural style, from Baroque to Neo-Classical.
Built around a series of arcaded courtyards, the university also holds Lithuania’s oldest public library as well many suites of ornately frescoed and vaulted apartments. Like many other public buildings in the Baltic, the university has suffered or thrived according to the regime in power at any given time. Initially run by Jesuits, it was transferred to secular power in 1773 but closed in the late 19th century on the orders of Tsar Nicholas I.
The university reopened in 1919 just before Lithuania was annexed by Poland, who ran the university until World War II, when it was administered by the Nazis and subsequently by the Soviet Union. Today it has been safely back in local hands since 1990, when Communism finally collapsed.
Famous students at Vilnius University include the Polish Romantic poet Adam Mickiewicz and Nobel prizewinner Czeslaw Milosz. Today there are 15,000 students procuring 5,000 degrees annually and contributing to the buzzing social life so evident on the city’s streets.
Tours and Activities to Experience Vilnius University (Vilniaus Universitetas)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Highlights of Vilnius - Short City Bike Tour
- Vilnius Sunset Footbike Tour
- Full-Day Vilnius City Tour and Trakai Castle from Vilnius
- Small-Group - Bike Tour of Vilnius Highlights "Iconic Landmarks & Hidden Gems"
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Transylvania
- St. Anne's Church
- Church of the Holy Spirit (Sventosios Dvasios Baznycia)
- Gate of Dawn (Ausros Vartai)
- Vilnius Cathedral (Arkikatedra Bazilika)
- Vilnius Old Town (Vilniaus Senamiestis)
- Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fights (Okupaciju ir Laisves Kovu Muziejus)
- Amber Museum-Gallery (Gintaro Muziejus-Galerija)
- Vilnius University (Vilniaus Universitetas)