St. Anne's Church Tours and Activities
The decorative brick towers, rose windows and spires of this flamboyant late-Gothic church were finished in 1501, and today it is one of Old Town’s best-loved landmarks.
The church was constructed on the site of an earlier wooden church first mentioned in 1394. St Anne's was designed by either Polish architect Michael Enkinger, who built a church of the same name in Warsaw, or the Bohemian Benedikt Rejt, who had a hand in building Prague Castle. Its ornate multi-patterned façade bristles with arcades, arches, flying buttresses and gargoyles.
Inside, the church’s single nave is surprisingly austere, with high vaulted ceilings and plain walls with little adornment except carved wooden pews and lecterns. Much of the original stained glass was destroyed by Napoleon’s troops when they were stationed here in 1812, despite the apocryphal tale that he apparently loved the church so much he wanted to "carry it home in the palm of his hand."
The freestanding, clumsy Neo-Gothic bell tower to the right of the main entrance to St Anne’s was an afterthought added in 1873; the church close by is St Francis and St Bernadine; together the three buildings comprise the Bernadine Priory.
Tours and Activities to Experience St. Anne's Church
Frequently Asked Questions
- Small-Group - Bike Tour of Vilnius Highlights "Iconic Landmarks & Hidden Gems"
- Full-Day Vilnius City Tour and Trakai Castle from Vilnius
- Private Vilnius Ghost & Legends tour
- Vilnius - City of Contrasts - The Original City Tour by bicycle (bike+food tour)
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Transylvania
- St. Anne's Church
- Church of the Holy Spirit (Sventosios Dvasios Baznycia)
- Gate of Dawn (Ausros Vartai)
- Vilnius Cathedral (Arkikatedra Bazilika)
- Vilnius Old Town (Vilniaus Senamiestis)
- Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fights (Okupaciju ir Laisves Kovu Muziejus)
- Amber Museum-Gallery (Gintaro Muziejus-Galerija)