Caesarea Tours and Activities
About 2,000 years ago, Israel’s beautiful fishing port of Caesarea was a Roman capital, dedicated to Caesar Augustus. Today, it is one of the country’s most popular tourist sites, with archaeological ruins, beautiful beaches and an impressive Roman theater.
Caesarea was built by Herod the Great over 12 years, from 25-13 BC, and was one of the grandest cities in the area with a deep sea harbor, aqueduct, hippodrome and amphitheater, which is still utilized today. The site holds concerts and other performances, while the hippodrome, although still identifiable, is now a banana field. It is smaller than the Circus Maximus in Rome but still held 20,000 spectators for chariot races at one point.
Caesarea’s harbor is an engineering marvel with both an inner and outer area. It was constructed using hydraulic concrete to create breakwaters. Caesarea Aqueduct Beach, on the other hand, is considered one of the best beaches in Israel. As its name suggests, there is an ancient aqueduct marking its edge.
If you are interested in museums, Philanthropist Harry Recanti founded the city’s Ralli Museum, which includes galleries that focus on Latin American and Sephardic Jewish artwork. The city even boasts an underwater museum, where visitors can dive through ancient ruins.
Tours and tickets to Experience Caesarea
7-Night Israel Highlights and Biblical Tour: Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth, Galilee and Optional Dead Sea Day Trip
8-Night Israel Tour from Tel Aviv: Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Bethlehem, Nazareth, Northern Israel and Petra
Frequently Asked Questions
- Caeserea, Rosh Hanikra and Acre Day Trip from Tel Aviv
- 7-Night Israel Highlights and Biblical Tour: Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth, Galilee and Optional Dead Sea Day Trip
- 5-Day Best of Israel Tour from Tel Aviv: Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Nazareth, and Masada
- Unforgettable Tour to Caesarea, Haifa, Acre and Rosh HaNikra from Tel Aviv
Things to do near Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Bethlehem
- Things to do in Sweimah
- Things to do in Madaba
- Things to do in Amman
- Things to do in Beirut
- Things to do in Port Said
- Things to do in Eilat
- Things to do in Aqaba
- Things to do in Cairo
- Things to do in Sharm el Sheikh
- Things to do in Hurghada
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera