Tallinn has so much to see and do that getting the maximum from three days in the city requires careful planning. From discovering its Old Town UNESCO World Heritage Site to exploring farther afield, here’s our take on spending 72 hours in the Estonian capital.
Toompea Castle (Toompea Loss)
Lossi plats 1A 10130, Tallinn
While only the four corner towers are all that exists from the 1219 Danish iteration, the castle has a long and interesting history. From being used as the seat of the Germanic Order of the Brothers of the Sword (an ancient religious, military order) to receiving a very pink, baroque facelift during Catherine the Great’s reign, Toompea Castle has seen its fair share of change. Today, the Estonian flag flies high from Pikk Hermann tower, rising every sunrise to the sounds of the national anthem of Estonia.
Things to Know Before You Go
- You can only visit the castle on a guided tour, and all tours require advanced booking.
- Tours are conducted during the week and are roughly 30 minutes long.
- The castle is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Vanalinn is a pedestrian-friendly area of Tallinn, and it is an easy (and fast) walk to Toompea Castle. From Old Town Square, follow Dunkri before a slight left on Rataskaevu. Make a right onto Lühike jalg and then turn right towards Lossi plats before turning left onto Lossi plats. Turn right to stay on Lossi plats and the castle will be on your left. The 7-minute walk is mostly flat.
When to Get There
Tours of the castle are only available Monday through Friday. Go online to make a reservation. For an enjoyable stroll outside the castle, visit Tallinn May through September for warmer weather.
Toompea Hill An important part of the city of Tallinn, Toompea hill rises above Old Town on a mass of limestone. A short walk from the city center, the neighborhood comprises many of Tallinn’s important historical buildings including the Dome Church and Alexander Nevsky Cathedral.
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Vabamu Museum of Occupations and Freedom
- Dome Church
- Freedom Square (Vabaduse väljak)
- Tallinn Legends
- Tallinn Town Hall (Tallinna Raekoda)
- Tallinn Old Town (Vanalinn)
- Tallinn Cruise Port (Tallinna Sadam)
- Seaplane Harbour (Lennusadam)
- Tallinn Song Festival Grounds (Lauluvӓljak)
- Kadriorg Palace
- Kadriorg Park
- Kumu Art Museum (Kumu Kunstimuuseum)
- Estonian Open Air Museum