Tellaro Roman Villa (Villa Romana del Tellaro)
The highly detailed mosaics at the Tellaro Roman Villa were hidden for centuries beneath farmland, and only over the past few decades have been discovered and restored. Now considered among the most important Roman sites in the area, the villa is a popular stop on day trips to Noto from Taormina and Catania. Join a guided tour to fully appreciate the history and techniques of these remarkable ancient mosaics, as well as the famed baroque palaces and churches of Noto’s sumptuous historic center.
Things to know before you go
- Because of its more recent discovery, Villa Romana del Tellaro is less well known (and less crowded) than Villa Romana del Casale near Piazza Armerina.
- Walking tours of the Noto and the Villa Romana del Tellaro cover quite a bit of ground; comfortable shoes and a sun hat are recommended.
- The mosaics are accessible to wheelchair users.
- Bring a small pair of binoculars or a camera with a telephoto lens to examine the mosaics’ minute details from a distance.
How to get there
The Villa Romana del Tellaro is located along rural highway SP19 just south of Noto, and cannot be reached via public transportation. The best way to visit is by joining a guided tour that includes transportation.
When to get there
The mosaics are protected under high roofs, so the light for taking photographs can be tricky. Visit on bright days and during the midday hours to be able to capture the intricate mosaics.
The Villa Romana del Casale
Sicily’s most famous Roman mosaics are located at Villa Romana del Casale just outside Piazza Armerina. Also dating from the fourth century, these floors are the largest and most intact in Italy and include the Chamber of the Ten Maidens, also known as the Bikini Girls, and a massive scene of hunters and dogs bringing down a variety of game.
- Things to do in Sicily
- Things to do in Catania
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Messina
- Things to do in Valletta
- Things to do in Mellieha
- Things to do in Agrigento
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Puglia
- Church of San Domenico (Chiesa di San Domenico)
- Basilica of San Salvatore (Basilica del SS. Salvatore)
- Church of Santa Chiara (Chiesa di Santa Chiara)
- Nicolaci di Villadorata Palace (Palazzo Nicolaci di Villadorata)
- Syracuse Cathedral (Duomo di Siracusa)
- Ortygia (Ortigia)
- Tecnoparco Archimede Museum (Tecnoparco Museo di Archimede)
- Ear of Dionysius (Orecchio di Dionisio)
- Syracuse Greek Theater (Teatro Greco)