This historic theater was refurbished and reopened in its current incarnation in 1995 and today seats around 2,000 people. All sorts of shows are screened here, from performances by the AUstralian Ballet and the Paris Opera Ballet, to Broadway and West End musicals. Although most visitors come here to watch a performance, tours are also available, usually on mornings. Tickets for shows and tours can be booked online well in advance.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Capitol Theatre is a must-visit for fans of the performing arts.
- Outside food and drink is not permitted, but there are bars and an ice-cream vendor in the theater.
- Children under two are allowed to sit on parents' laps but must obtain a babe-in-arms ticket).
- Large bags and backpacks must be checked in the free cloakroom.
- The theatre is wheelchair accessible in Stalls Row WWW.
How to Get There
Capitol Theatre is easily accessible by public transportation. It's a five-minute walk from Central Station and numerous bus and light rail links can be found in the area immediately surrounding the theatre; the Capitol Square light rail station, on line 1, takes two minutes to reach on foot. For those who prefer to drive, the nearby Market City Car Park offers discounted parking to theatre guests.
When to Get There
The theatre is open to the public when shows are going on; matinee performances are sometimes cheaper and get fewer crowds. Those who don’t want to see a performance but are interested in the theatre’s architecture, tours are also available, on non-show days. While they are generally held on Monday mornings, the schedules vary quite a bit.
Highlights of Haymarket There’s lots to see and do in the Haymarket area surrounding the theater. Don't miss Chinatown, a great place to sample Cantonese food (as well as food from other parts of Asia); the night market here on Friday nights is particularly popular. The neighborhood is also home to the 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art, which features regular exhibitions and events.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland