Stockholm Old Town (Gamla Stan)
The many historic landmarks of Gamla Stan are easily explored on foot, starting with the Royal Palace, Storkyrkan (Stockholm Cathedral), and the Riksdagshuset (Swedish parliament building). Other highlights include the central square of Stortorget, the main streets of Vasterlanggatan and Osterlanggatan, the Nobel Museum at Borshuset, and Riddarholmen Church.
Stockholm sightseeing tours, hop-on hop-off bus rides, and boat tours typically pass by Gamla Stan, but the best way to explore is on foot. Opt for a guided walking or biking tour; discover Stockholm’s dark history on an after-hours ghost tour; or snap some great pictures on a photography tour.
Recent reviews from experiences in Stockholm
Things to Know Before You Go
Gamla Stan is one of the top spots in Stockholm and a must-see for first-time visitors and returners alike.
There are free Wi-Fi spots located around Stockholm Old Town.
Most of the main attractions of Gamla Stan are wheelchair accessible, but some of the narrow cobblestone lanes might be tricky to navigate.
How to Get There
Stockholm's Old Town comprises the main island of Stadsholmen and the smaller islands of Riddarholmen, Helgeandsholmen, and Stromsborg. The pedestrianized district can be reached on foot from Norrmalm or by taking the Tunnelbana (subway) to Gamla Stan station.
When to Get There
Gamla Stan is atmospheric by both day and night, but many visitors opt to time their sightseeing for midday, to coincide with the changing of the guards at Stockholm Royal Palace. The district is at its busiest during the peak summer season, but it’s also popular during the holidays, when it hosts one of Stockholm’s liveliest Christmas markets.
Gamla Stan is arguably the best known and most central of all Stockholm's neighborhoods, but there are plenty more areas to explore when visting Sweden's largest city. Don't miss Södermalm, known for art galleries, boutiques, and historic; residential Vasastan, with its intriguing architecture; or Djurgården, the site of an amusement park and plenty of nearby museums.
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Nobel Prize Museum
- Stockholm Royal Palace (Kungliga Slottet)
- Stockholm Archipelago (Stockholms Skärgard)
- Riddarholm Church (Riddarholmskyrkan)
- Stockholm Parliament House (Riksdagshuset)
- Museum of Medieval Stockholm (Medeltidsmuseet)
- Royal Swedish Opera (Kungliga Operan)
- Kungsträdgarden (Kungsan)
- Stockholm National Museum
- Stockholm City Hall (Stadshuset)
- Junibacken Children’s Museum
- Stockholm Concert Hall (Konserthuset)
- Vasa Museum (Vasamuseet)