St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor)
With its gigantic golden dome coated with over 220 pounds of gold and an impressive red granite portico, St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor) looks more like a palace than a cathedral, and it’s no surprise that the eye-catching masterpiece is among St. Petersburg’s most visited attractions. Commissioned by Tsar Alexander I in 1818 to mark the defeat of Napoleon, the magnificent cathedral took over 40 years to build and still ranks among the largest domed cathedrals in the world, with a capacity for up to 14,000 worshipers.
Set on the banks of the Neva River, the cathedral’s extravagant design was the work of French architect Auguste de Montferrand, blending Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical elements, and sparing no expenses. The cathedral interiors are equally lavish, featuring painstakingly sculpted reliefs, grand bronze doors and a colonnaded iconostasis adorned with semiprecious gems.
Today, the cathedral is only occasionally used for worship, instead serving as a museum and housing an impressive collection of 19th-century fine art and mosaics. For many visitors, the highlight is climbing the 300 steps to the cathedral's colonnade, from where the views expand over the city.
Ways to experience St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor)
Browse. Filter. Book.
What are St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor) hours of operation?
Should I book St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor) 2020?
What's the best way to experience St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Isaakievskiy Sobor)?
- 2-Day Group Shore Excursion in St Petersburg with Faberge Museum & Boat Cruise
- St. Petersburg Shore Excursion: Small-Group 2-Day Visa-Free Tour Including Boat Ride
- 2-Day St. Petersburg City and Local Culture Shore Excursion in a Small Group
- Small Group Visa Free St. Petersburg 2-day Grand Shore Excursion
Things to do near St Petersburg
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Kaunas
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Luosto
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Central Norway
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region