Leningrad Zoo St. Petersburg
A Leningrad Zoo entry ticket includes full access to the zoo’s many attractions. Visitors can admire polar bears, snow leopards, and lions; spot giraffes, elephants, chimpanzees, and rhinos; and see native Russian animals including lynx, Siberian tigers, and wolves. There is also a children’s zoo, where kids can interact with farm animals under the supervision of zookeepers, and horse and pony rides are available in the summer months.
Things to Know Before You Go
On-site facilities include a gift shop and café.
Admission is free for children under 7 years, and discounted tickets are available for under 18s.
In the winter, many of the animals are moved to heated indoor areas, which can also be visited.
Most areas of the zoo are wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The Leningrad Zoo is located along the banks of the Neva River in downtown St. Petersburg, opposite the Peter and Paul Fortress. The closest metro stations are Gorkovskaya (line 2) and Sportivnaya (line 5), both around a 10-minute walk from the zoo entrance. Alternatively, trams 6 and 40 from Gorkovskaya stop right outside.
When to Get There
The zoo is open all year, but the majority of exhibitions are outdoors, so dress accordingly. The busiest months are July and August, when it’s best to visit in the morning to avoid the crowds and midday heat. Feeding demonstrations and zookeeper talks are held on weekends only.
Family Activities in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg is best-known for its historic monuments and architectural wonders, but the city also has a number of attractions to keep kids entertained in between sightseeing. Animal lovers will also want to visit the Planet Neptune Oceanarium and the Museum of Zoology, while a performance at the Bolshoi Puppet Theatre is fun for all ages. Alternatively, head to New Holland Park or the Kirovsky Islands to walk, cycle, or boat around the lakes.
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Moscow
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Nizhny Novgorod
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Volga Region
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Military Historical Artillery Museum
- St. Petersburg Planetarium (Sankt-Peterburgskiy Planetariy)
- Peter and Paul Fortress (Petropavlovskaya Krepost)
- The State Museum of the Political History of Russia
- Neva River (Reka Neva)
- Winter Palace of Peter the Great at the Hermitage
- Museum of Optics
- Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera)
- State Hermitage Museum
- Pushkin Museum
- Summer Palace of Peter the Great (Letniy Dvorets)
- Admiralty Building
- St. Petersburg Palace Square (Dvortsovaya Ploshchad)
- The Menshikov Palace
- The General Staff Building