Looming 30 meters (98 feet) over the Avebury countryside, the steep grassy slopes of Silbury Hill are an incongruous sight against the backdrop of gently rolling farmlands. This is no ordinary hill, however – the fascinating man-made structure dates back to around 2400BC and is the largest prehistoric monument of its kind in Europe.
Experts have long debated the significance of Silbury Hill, but while there are few indications of its actual purpose, its size (comparable to the Egyptian pyramids) and careful construction are none-the-less impressive. The mysterious hill also makes an intriguing addition to England’s UNESCO-listed Neolithic monuments, which include the Avebury Ring, the West Kennet Long Barrow and Stonehenge.
Tours and tickets to Experience Silbury Hill
Should I book Silbury Hill tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Silbury Hill 2021?
What's the best way to experience Silbury Hill?
- Stonehenge, Avebury and Cotswold Villages (Tour 1)
- Bespoke private tours of Stonehenge and Avebury by car with local guide
- Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Avebury in One Day from Salisbury
- Stonehenge, Avebury, and West Kennet Long Barrow in One Day from Salisbury
Things to do near South West England
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Bath
- Things to do in Cornwall
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in South West Ireland
- Things to do in Loire Valley
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais