Central Sofia Market Hall (Halite)
See the centrally located Central Sofia Market Hall on a city tour, combining your visit with other Sofia highlights for a comprehensive overview of the city. Food tours generally include lunch or tasters, as well as a local’s perspective on the city’s dining culture, helping you avoid the tourist trap restaurants common in capital cities. Take advantage of small-group or private tours for personalized shopping and dining recommendations from your guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
Central Sofia Market Hall is distinguished by its architecture, and it’s generally less busy than other city markets.
Locally led tours are ideal for seeking out authentic foods, wines, and goods at the best prices.
Most products are sold at a fixed price, and haggling is uncommon.
How to Get There
Most tours offer guided accompaniment for hassle-free navigation throughout the sprawling city. Otherwise, the market is a 20-minute walk south from Sofia Central station, and less than a 5-minute walk from Serdika metro station.
When to Get There
Central Sofia Market Hall opens daily. Take advantage of the covered structure to seek shelter from harsh summer or winter weather, or join the local lunch crowd by visiting in early afternoon.
Who was Naum Torbov?
Naum Torbov was a Bulgarian architect, born in Ottoman Macedonia in 1880. He studied architecture at Bucharest’s National University of Arts, and then became chief architect in Sofia. Torbov’s designs famously included features of Slavic Revival. Unfortunately, many of these structures were damaged in World War II.
- Things to do in Skopje
- Things to do in Pristina
- Things to do in Veliko Tarnovo
- Things to do in Ohrid
- Things to do in Bucharest
- Things to do in Otopeni
- Things to do in Brasov
- Things to do in Dubrovnik
- Things to do in Istanbul
- Things to do in Athens
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Wallachia
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Adriatic Coast
- Sofia Synagogue
- Sofia Church of St. George (St. George Rotunda)
- Sofia National Archaeological Museum
- Sofia National Gallery
- Amphitheater of Serdica
- St. Sofia Church
- Ivan Vazov National Theatre
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Sofia National Gallery (Kvadrat 500)
- Monument to the Soviet Army
- Vitosha Boulevard (Vitoshka)
- Bulgarian National Museum of Military History
- Museum of Socialist Art
- Sofia National History Museum
- Boyana Church