Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
There are six main scenic areas to the garden, and each with several photogenic spots. Climb the 50-feet (14-meter) Great Rockery for a birds’-eye view of the whole garden. Don’t miss the Exquisite Jade Rock, a porous, spiky 5-ton rock with a fascinating history. Scattered throughout the garden are also numerous sculptures, carvings, calligraphies, paintings, and inscriptions.
Yuyuan Garden is a popular attraction and features on many guided tours, whether you want to explore for a half or full day. Most tours will include other top attractions such as the Bund, Nanjing Road, or Xin Tian Di. For a more customized and personalized experience, opt for a private guide.
Recent reviews from experiences in Shanghai
Things to Know Before You Go
This is must for those with an interest in nature, history, and architecture.
Plan to spend about an hour here—two if you’re not in a rush.
Yuyuan Garden isn’t wheelchair accessible; there are several steps at the entrance and more throughout the garden.
How to Get There
Yuyuan Garden is located at No. 137 Anren Street, Huangpu District. Take the metro, Line 10, and get off at Yuyuan Station (Exit 1). Or take public bus nos. 11, 26, 64, 805, or 930 and get off at Xinbeimen Station, or City Sightseeing Bus, line 1, 3, or 5.
When to Get There
The garden is open year-round, although admission fees are higher in the spring and fall than in the summer and winter; spring, when the garden is in full bloom, is the best time to visit. The garden is a popular destination on weekends; visit during the week and early in the morning for fewer crowds.
Yuyuan Bazaar, located right next to Yuyuan Garden, is a bustling marketplace with shops, teahouses, and restaurants. It’s a great place to buy some souvenirs or to some local snacks, including xiaolongbao.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Jin Mao Tower
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
- Xin Tian Di
- Acrobatics Shows in Shanghai
- Eating in Shanghai
- Best Day Trips from Shanghai
- 3 Days in Shanghai
- Tea-Tasting Tours
- Family-Friendly Tours
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Spring
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Fall
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Winter
- First-Timers Guide to Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Summer
- How to Get Around in Shanghai