Xin Tian Di
Completed in 2002, Xin Tian Di (the name means “New Heaven and Earth”) covers about two city blocks. It’s one of Shanghai’s most popular entertainment and lifestyle destinations, and many tours feature a stop here. Take a guided walking, bike, or bus tour to explore the area, or pair it with other top attractions in Shanghai, such as City God Temple, Yuyuan Garden, or the Bund. Alternatively, some travelers opt to combine it with a nighttime Huangpu River cruise or an acrobatic show. For a more personalized experience, book a private or small-group tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Xin Tian Di is a must-visit for foodies, shoppers, and those with an interest in architecture.
Visitors can find both Chinese and Western restaurants in the area.
Many restaurants offer free WiFi to customers.
How to Get There
Xin Tian Di is located in central Shanghai, south of Huaihai Zhong Lu. Take the metro, line 10 or 13, and get off at Xintiandi Station (exit 6). Or take the City Sightseeing Bus, line 1, to Yida Huizhi Xintiandi, or bus 146 or 805 to Madang Road, Xingye Road.
When to Get There
Xin Tian Di can be visited at any time, though shops, restaurants, and other business will have different closing times. Those interested in the architecture should visit during the day. There’s a vibrant nightlife scene here, and it’s possible to eat, drink, and be merry into the wee hours.
Xin Tian Di’s Communist History
The inspiration for the architecture of Xin Tian Di came from the site where the Chinese Communist Party first met in 1921, in a gray building that sits in the middle of Xin Tian Di. This building is now the Museum of the First National Congress Hall of the Communist Party, and visitors can see a waxwork replica of that first meeting, along with an exhibition hall full of relics, documents, and photos.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shikumen Open House Museum (Wulixiang Shikumen Bowuguan)
- Shanghai French Concession
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen
- Shanghai Grand Theatre (Shanghai Da Juyuan)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Acrobatics Shows in Shanghai
- Eating in Shanghai
- Best Day Trips from Shanghai
- 3 Days in Shanghai
- Tea-Tasting Tours
- Family-Friendly Tours
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Spring
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Fall
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Winter
- First-Timers Guide to Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Summer
- How to Get Around in Shanghai