Shanghai Grand Theatre (Shanghai Da Juyuan)
Located at the northwest corner of People’s Square, the building was designed by renowned French architect, Jean Marie Charpentier, and it combines both Eastern and Western styles. Inside, find elegant marble flooring and a large crystal chandelier. The glass building is particularly striking at night. Performances are held nearly every night in one or more of its three theaters: the 1,800-seat Lyric theater, the 600-seat drama theater, and the 300-seat studio theater.
Things to Know Before You Go
Ticket prices depend on the show or performance.
On-site dining options include a restaurant and cafe.
Visitors can browse a shopping center in the theater selling audio-visual equipment.
Underground parking is available at the theater.
How to Get There
Shanghai Grand Theatre is located at the northwest corner of People’s Square. By metro, take Lines 1, 2, or 8, to People’s Square Station. By bus, take bus 23, 49, or 109 to North Huangpi Road Wusheng Road. Or take bus 46, 49, 123, or 145 and get off at People’s Square.
When to Get There
Performances are held almost daily at Shanghai Grand Theatre. Check the schedule for a list of shows and performances. Major art events are also held here, including the Shanghai International Film Festival in June and the China Shanghai International Arts Festival in October.
Other Performing Arts Centers in Shanghai
Other top performing arts centers in Shanghai include the Shanghai Art Theater, Shanghai Dramatic Arts Center, Shanghai Oriental Art Center, Shanghai Concert Hall, Shanghai Grand Stage, the Majestic Theater, and the Lyceum Theater.
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai French Concession
- Xin Tian Di
- Shikumen Open House Museum (Wulixiang Shikumen Bowuguan)
- Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Jing’an Temple
- Acrobatics Shows in Shanghai
- Eating in Shanghai
- Best Day Trips from Shanghai
- 3 Days in Shanghai
- Tea-Tasting Tours
- Family-Friendly Tours
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Spring
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Fall
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Winter
- First-Timers Guide to Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Summer
- How to Get Around in Shanghai