People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
Covering an area of 1.5 million square feet (140,000 square meters), People’s Square can hold 1.2 million people. People’s Park provides a welcome green space in the urban area. Other attractions include the top-rated Shanghai Museum, Shanghai History Museum, Shanghai Museum of Contemporary Art, and Shanghai Grand Theater. There’s also a vast shopping area underneath People’s Square.
Combine a visit to People’s Square with a hop-on hop-off bus tour of Shanghai, a Huangpu River dinner cruise, or a half-day, full-day, or evening sightseeing tour that includes other top Shanghai attractions, such as the Bund, Yuyuan Garden, or Xintiandi. Cruise ship passengers, those on a layover, and others who want personalized attention might consider a customized private tour with a stop at People’s Square.
Things to Know Before You Go
It’s free to visit People’s Square.
There are 20 exits for the People’s Square metro station so check to see which exit gets you closest to the area of the square you want to see.
When exploring the area, remember to wear comfortable shoes.
While People’s Square itself is wheelchair accessible, not all attractions and businesses around it are.
How to Get There
People’s Square is located in the Huangpu district. By metro, take Lines 1, 2, or 8 to People’s Square Station. Numerous buses also stop at People’s Square, including bus 18, 20, 23, 37, 46, 48, 49, 108, 109, 112, 123, 145, and 518.
When to Get There
Although People’s Square can be visited at any time, different attractions have different opening hours. Early mornings are a great time to see locals exercising and practicing tai chi. Weekends and holidays can be very busy; visit during the week for smaller crowds.
People’s Park Marriage Market
People’s Square Marriage Market, where parents try to find matches for their grown children, takes place every Saturday and Sunday from noon until 3pm. It’s worth a visit, even if you’re not looking for love. The market takes place just inside Gate 5 of People’s Park. Take Exit 9 of the People’s Square Station and head left on Nanjing Xi Lu to find it.
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai Grand Theatre (Shanghai Da Juyuan)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Shanghai French Concession
- Xin Tian Di
- Shikumen Open House Museum (Wulixiang Shikumen Bowuguan)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Acrobatics Shows in Shanghai
- Eating in Shanghai
- Best Day Trips from Shanghai
- 3 Days in Shanghai
- Tea-Tasting Tours
- Family-Friendly Tours
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Spring
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Fall
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Winter
- First-Timers Guide to Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Summer
- How to Get Around in Shanghai