Designed by English architect Seldon Wornum, the main residence revels in its Tudor Revival style, with steeply pitched gables, patterned brickwork, lythe chimneys, and rounded towers. Some walking tours highlight San Sebastián’s Belle Epoque, a time when Europe’s noble elite and royal families summered in their palaces and gardens.
Aside from Miramar, there’s Cristina Enea Park where ducks and geese paddle across a pond and fig trees, holm oaks, and chestnuts provide shade, and Aiete Park and mansion, a favorite spot of Queen Victoriaxa0 of England. Or visit Miramar palace as part of a tour that allows you to set your own pace, either motoring around on an electric bike or taking a hop-on hop-off bus to over two dozen
Things to Know Before You Go
- Miramar Palace is an ideal spot for garden lovers.
- Admission to the park is free.
- Bring a picnic and enjoy it on the palace lawn.
- Hop-on hop-off bus tours have audio commentaries in eight different languages.
How to Get There
Miramar Palace is located on Paseo de Miraconcha on Ondarreta Beach in San Sebastián’s Old Town. Walk west along the crescent of La Concha Bay to the palace.xa0 The best way to get around the Old Town is on foot or by the city’s easy bike-sharing service. As well, taxis are reasonable, and the public D-Bus, services all the main points of interest in the city.
When to Get There
The gardens are open to the public everyday. Come anytime during the day to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere and ocean views. Come during lunch time to join the locals or avoid the crowds by coming in the mornings or late afternoons.
Cristina Enea Park Though created by the same designer of the Miramar Palace gardens, the landscape at Cristina Enea has an entirely different atmosphere. This formal 23-acre (9.5-hectare) park has wooden paths lined with giant red sequoias and Lebanese cedars leading to a pond and open lawns frequented by ducks, geese and peacocks and a place built by the Duke of Mandas in honour of his wife.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Aragón
- Ondarreta Beach (Playa de Ondarreta)
- La Concha Beach (Playa de la Concha)
- Santa Clara Island (Isla de Santa Clara)
- San Sebastián Aquarium
- Monte Urgull
- Buen Pastor Cathedral
- San Sebastian Old Town (Parte Vieja Donostiarra)
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitución)
- San Telmo Museum (STM)
- Victoria Eugenia Theatre (Teatro Victoria Eugenia)
- Monte Igueldo