San Sebastián Aquarium
Before moving on to the tanks, graze over the collection of extraordinarily detailed model ships, and learn about the city’s storied history of rowing competitions and whale hunting. Next up is an array of gorgeous seashells and sea animal skeletons such as a whale caught off the Atlantic coast in 1878.
Continue the nature theme by hiking the trail around Mount Urguil leading to scenic lookout points. Enjoy the museum as part of an independent tour during which you explore the city at your own pace. Independent tours often include accommodations, vouchers for shows, and admission to attractions such as the San Telmo Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Aquarium San Sebastián is an ideal spot for nature lovers.
- Admission is $15 for adults; $10 for seniors and students; $7 for children up to 12; and free for those under 6.
- The attraction is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Aquarium San Sebastián is located on Piazza Carlos Blasco de Imaz in Old Town, on the east end of La Concha Bay. The best way to get around is on foot or by the city’s easy bike-sharing service. Also, taxis are cheap, and the public D-Bus services all the main points of interest in the city. If you're driving, two car parks are nearby.
When to Get There
The aquarium is open daily; hours may change depending on the season. City festivities take place throughout the year: Tamborrada, when 15,000 drummers drum 24 hours in the square on January 20; Semana Grande, a week-long festival of cultural and sporting events, regattas, and fireworks in August; the International Film Festival in September; and the gastronomic festival, Gastronomika in October.
San Telmo Museum Walk around the base of Mount Urguil to the San Telmo Museum. Housed in a 16th-century Renaissance monastery, the museum delves into the heritage of the Basque people, from Neolithic times to the present through archaeological artifacts and artworks. Don’t miss the 11 murals by José María Sert in the chapel depicting important moments in Basque history, oil paintings by El Greco and Joaquín Sorolla, and rare photographs.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Aragón
- Monte Urgull
- San Sebastian Old Town (Parte Vieja Donostiarra)
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitución)
- Santa Clara Island (Isla de Santa Clara)
- San Telmo Museum (STM)
- La Concha Beach (Playa de la Concha)
- Victoria Eugenia Theatre (Teatro Victoria Eugenia)
- Miramar Palace (Palacio de Miramar)
- Ondarreta Beach (Playa de Ondarreta)
- Buen Pastor Cathedral
- Monte Igueldo