How to Spend a Rainy Day in San Francisco
San Francisco is a great city for walking, but when the weather doesn’t cooperate, it’s important to know where to take cover. Don’t let precipitation (most common in winter and spring) dampen your sightseeing. Here's how to make the most of a rainy day during your holiday by the bay.
- Board a bus, minivan, or private vehicle for a sightseeing tour of the city and stay dry.
- Discover legendary and contemporary artworks at the de Young Museum, Legion of Honor, or Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA).
- Shop for gourmet goods from Bay Area food purveyors at the Ferry Building Marketplace, which boasts four dozen merchants including an independent bookstore.
- Take restless kids to the California Academy of Sciences (Golden Gate Park), Exploratorium (Pier 15), Aquarium of the Bay (Pier 39), or the Walt Disney Family Museum (Presidio)—and skip the line with a booked ticket.
- Spend the day shopping at Union Square department stores and luxury boutiques, and check out premium retailers at Westfield San Francisco Centre.