San Francisco Playhouse
Experience top-notch theater at the San Francisco Playhouse, just a block from Union Square. The best way to visit it is by public transportation, including the bus, metro, or BART—the Bay Area's regional transit system. You can also book a sightseeing tour or hop-on hop-off bus tour, most of which pass by Union Square. Alternatively, visit by foot with a self-paced walking tour around Market Street, Chinatown, and nearby Nob Hill.
Things to know before you go
- The playhouse is a great place to see a new performance; the theater puts on six mainstage productions and several premieres each year.
- Theater lovers should visit for the Sandbox Series, which promotes new works including many world premieres.
- Plan to buy tickets in advance—online or at the box office—since weekend performances may sell out.
How to get there
The San Francisco Playhouse is located in downtown San Francisco. Find the playhouse on the second floor of the Kensington Park Hotel on Post Street, between Mason and Powell. The most convenient way to get to the theater is by public transportation. Take BART to the Powell Street Station, or MUNI metro to the Powell Street-Halidie Plaza Station. From there, walk up Powell Street and take a left on Post.
When to get there
With daily shows, plan to arrive any night of the week, so long as you buy tickets in advance. Performances are held Tuesday through Thursday with select matinees at weekends.
Visiting the Ferry Building
Take a 15-minute walk east on Market Street and you'll find the Ferry Building Marketplace, along the Embarcadero. Whether you feast on local oysters, shop for artisanal products, or sip a coffee with views of the bay, the Ferry Building is a must-see destination. To enjoy California's famous produce, plan to arrive on Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday and visit the Ferry Building Farmers Market, which is packed with local fruits and vegetables.
- Union Square
- Marrakech Magic Theater
- Market Street
- Huntington Park
- Barbary Coast Trail
- Nob Hill
- Grace Cathedral
- Contemporary Jewish Museum
- Yerba Buena Gardens
- California Historical Society
- Cable Car Museum
- San Francisco Chinatown
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMoMA)
- Children's Creativity Museum
- Transamerica Pyramid