San Fernando Cathedral
The oldest continuously operating religious community in Texas, San Fernando Cathedral was constructed between 1738 and 1749. In fact, the dome of the original church was the point from which all mileage in Texas was measured in the 1700s. The cathedral is well-maintained, and mass still goes on daily so make sure to be respectful when entering. One major attraction inside the sacred space is the Alamo Coffin, located near the church entrance, which is believed to hold the remains of the men who lost their lives at the Alamo. The cathedral played a part in the battle, as it was President-General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna’s headquarters during the siege of the Alamo, and from where he sent a terrifying message. Instead of flying the tri-color Mexican flag from the church’s belfry he flew a blood-red flag, letting the defenders of the Alamo know he would kill them even if they surrendered.
Inside the church there are many beautiful points of interest, for example, the gold gilded alter, intricate stained glass windows and dramatic columns and archways. Outside, visitors can admire the mix of Gothic and American Colonial architecture.
As the church is not only beautiful and sacred but also historical, visiting the museum next to the gift shop can help enlighten you on its heritage. Additionally, the church offers both self-guided and group tours. You can either purchase a guidebook at the gift shop explaining the highlights and artwork of the cathedral or take a 45-minute guided tour with a knowledgeable docent.
Ways to experience San Fernando Cathedral
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience San Fernando Cathedral?
- San Antonio River Walk Cruise, Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour and Tower of the Americas
- San Antonio River Walk Cruise and Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
- Segway Tour of Historic San Antonio
- San Antonio Super Pass with Four Downtown Attractions
Things to do near San Antonio
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Fredericksburg
- Things to do in Austin
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in San Miguel de Allende
- Things to do in Santa Fe
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Guanajuato