Hellbrunn Palace (Schloss Hellbrunn)
Admission to Hellbrunn Palace includes a 40-minute guided tour of the gardens, a 40-minute audio tour of the castle itself, and access to the Folklore Museum, which houses a collection of objects and costumes associated with Austria’s Salzburg valley region.
Because of its location just a short hop south of Salzburg, Hellbrunn is often included on hop-on hop-off city tours. Some sightseeing passes include free admission to the palace as well as other top attractions such as Salzburg Zoo. The palace can also be visited as part of organized tours, which may combine a trip to the palace with a boat cruise along the Salzach River. The gazebo at Hellbrunn Palace served as the filming location for the “Sixteen Going on Seventeen” scene inThe Sound of Music, so the palace is commonly included onSound of Music tours.
Recent reviews from experiences in Salzburg
Things to Know Before You Go
Hellbrunn Palace is a must for families; kids love the trick fountains.
You will get wet, so be sure your smartphone and any other gear is protected.
The park and trick fountains are wheelchair accessible, though the palace is not.
How to Get There
Hellbrunn Palace is 3 miles (4.5 kilometers) south of central Salzburg. To get here, ride the 25 bus from Salzburg’s main train station to Hellbrunn. Cycling from central Salzburg will take 25 minutes.
When to Get There
The palace and trick fountains are open from late March to early November. The best time to explore is in summer, as it’s easier to dry off under the warm sun. Summer is also, however, the busiest time. Try arriving first thing to get in ahead of the crowds.
The Trick Fountains
Designed to amuse and surprise, the trick fountains at Hellbrunn Palace are a lot of fun. In addition to a series of grottoes and water-driven figures, the palace grounds also feature some hidden fountains that spout when guests least expect it. Another highlight is the mechanical theater, where you can see 200 water-powered figures going about life in a typical Austrian city.
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Salzburg Zoo
- Schloss Leopoldskron
- Salzburg Marionette Theatre (Marionettentheater)
- Hohensalzburg Fortress (Festung Hohensalzburg)
- Nonnberg Abbey (Stift Nonnberg)
- St. Peter's Abbey (Stift Sankt Peter)
- Michael Haydn Museum
- Salzburg Cathedral (Dom zu Salzburg)
- Cathedral Museum (Dommuseum)
- Panorama Museum
- Salzburg Museum
- Salzburg Old Town (Salzburger Altstadt)
- Residenz Gallery (Residenzgalerie)
- Mozart Square (Mozartplatz)
- Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum (Museum der Moderne Rupertinum)