Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk) Tours and Activities
The Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk) is the primary landmark of Rotterdam, and the only remaining building of medieval times in the city. The late-Gothic structure was built between 1449 and 1525, originally consecrated as a Catholic cathedral before being converted to a Protestant place of worship following the Reformation in 1572. Much of the ornate decoration from the interior was removed at this time.
For a time, from 1619 to 1642, the church was topped with a wooden spire designed by architect Hendrick de Keyser, but this was demolished due to rot. The next idea was to top the tower with a stone pinnacle, but this caused the tower to tilt, requiring new piles to be added under the foundation. Much of the remaining interior decoration was removed during the Batavian Revolution of 1795.
Sint Laurenskerk was heavily damaged in the German bombing of May 14, 1940, the images of which still symbolize the hardship the city endured during this period. After the bombing, there was controversy over whether to keep or demolish the church, and in the end, a restoration was agreed upon.
One of the main attractions of the Sint Laurenskerk is the Carillon of bells, which were originally installed in 1661 as a set of 36 designed by F. Hemony. More were later added during the post-war renovation, and there are now 49.
Tours and Activities to Experience Church of St. Lawrence (Sint Laurenskerk)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Rotterdam Highlights Bike Tour
- Rotterdam Highlights Bicycle Tour
- Private Tour: Rotterdam Walking Tour Including Harbor Cruise
- The Whole City In Half a Day: All inclusive, authentic private tour of Rotterdam
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in The Hague
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Reims
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in Flanders