One of Canada’s snowiest cities, Quebec City is a true winter wonderland. Rather than dampening the fun, the snow actually enhances it—and in fact, you’ll find the city at its atmospheric best in winter. Here’s how to make the most of your winter trip to Quebec City.
La Malbaie, Quebec City, Canada
Outdoor activities in La Malbaie are popular year-round, whether it’s skiing on the Mont Grand-Fonds slopes, hiking in Haut Gorge National Park, catching a whale-watching cruise from Baie St. Catherine, or riding Malbaie’s 3.7-mile (6-kilometer) bike path along the St. Lawrence River.
Casino Charlevoix contributes to La Malbaie’s reputation as a popular destination, drawing nearly a million visitors each year to its casino games, golf course, and historical hotel, the Manoir Richelieu. To get a sense for the area’s rich past, visit the Musée de Charlevoix, which showcases the region’s history, heritage, and folk art.
Things to Know Before You Go
La Malbaie is ideal for outdoors enthusiasts.
Visit Manoir Richelieu for sweeping views of the St. Lawrence River.
Most water-based activities halt around November when the river freezes over.
Many regional businesses are accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
La Malbaie is located off of routes 138 and 362, about 87 miles (141 kilometers) northeast of Québec City.
When to Get There
La Malbaie is most known as a summertime getaway with plenty of warm-weather activities, including boat rides and water sports on the St. Lawrence. In October you can catch the brilliant colors of fall foliage. When the river freezes over in winter, you can hit the slopes, snowshoe, or relax in the warmth of the area’s cozy chalets.
Canada’s Best-Kept Secret
La Malbaie’s Cabot Gardens, known to locals as Les Jardins de Quatre-Vents (Gardens of the Four Winds), is said to be Canada’s best-kept secret. Designed and endowed by revered horticulturalist Francis Cabot, the elaborate Cabot Gardens mimics elements from gardens across the world, from India to Japan.
- Charlevoix Region
- Shrine of Saint-Anne-de-Beaupré (Sanctuaire de Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré)
- Albert Gilles Copper Art Museum and Boutique
- Orleans Island (Ile d'Orléans)
- Via Ferrata Montmorency
- Montmorency Falls Park (Parc de la Chute-Montmorency)
- Ice Hotel (Hotel de Glace)
- Quebec Museum of Civilization (Musée de la Civilisation)
- Port of Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church (Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires)
- Quebec Royal Square (Place-Royale)
- Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral
- Museum of Francophone America (Musée de l'Amérique Francophone)