Museum of Medieval Torture
Located in the basement of a building in the heart of Prague, the museum is spread over three floors and across 14 exhibition rooms. Information about each device appears in several languages. You’ll also learn about medieval society and how torture was used in the Middle Ages to subdue heretics, “witches,” political rebels, and many more. Save time by buying your admission ticket online in advance.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Museum of Medieval Torture Instruments is a must-visit for those interested in medieval history.
Getting into the museum requires walking down several flights of stairs.
Children under age 15 receive discounted admission.
How to Get There
The Museum of Medieval Torture Instruments is in a well-trafficked part of Prague’s Old Town, on the square at the east end of Charles Bridge. The closest metro station is Staromestska, about a 5-minute walk from the museum. Karlovy Lazne tram stop is about a 2-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The museum is open every day, morning through evening. Allow 45 to 60 minutes to see the whole thing.
Museum of Torture and Torture Instruments
Prague has two museums of torture with similar names. The other one is called the Museum of Torture and Torture Instruments and is located close to the Old Town Square, at Celetna 12. More graphic, this museum displays its devices along with wax models as torture subjects (complete with sound effects), and features audiovisual depictions of a witch-burning and an execution by sword.
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- St. Francis of Assisi Church (Kostel Sv. Frantiska z Assisi)
- Old Town Bridge Tower
- Ta Fantastika Black Light Theatre
- Bedrich Smetana Museum (Muzeum Bedricha Smetany)
- Clementinum (Klementinum)
- Charles Bridge (Karluv Most)
- Apple Museum
- Náprstek Museum of Asian, African and American Cultures
- Sex Machines Museum
- Franz Kafka Museum (Muzeum Franze Kafky)
- Old Jewish Cemetery (Starý Zidovský Hrbitov)
- Prague State Opera (Státní Opera)
- Franz Kafka’s Birthplace (Expozice Franze Kafky)
- Maisel Synagogue (Maiselova Synagoga)