Île de la Cité
Îlede la Cité shares the Seine River with its upstream neighbor, ÎleSaint-Louis, right in the middle of Paris's city center. The westernmost end of the island is mostly residential with a small park at the tip, while the eastern end gives visitors the best view of the flying buttresses of Notre-Dame Cathedral. The Palais de Justice is also housed on the island, which has the Sainte-Chapelle inside, a tiny jewel box of almost kaleidoscopic color thanks to its wonderful stained glass.
Archaeologists found evidence of habitation on this island by the Romans, as early as the first century BC. But the early 17th century was when the island came into its own, after the construction of the Pont Neuf that spans the river and intersects with the western end.
Tours and tickets to Experience Île de la Cité
Should I book Île de la Cité tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Île de la Cité 2021?
What's the best way to experience Île de la Cité?
- See 30 Plus Top Paris Sights with a Fun Guide
- Capitaine Fracasse Boat 3-Course Dinner Cruise
- Paris Sightseeing Family Friendly Guided Electric Bike Tour
- Paris in One Day : Eiﬀel Tower with Summit, Louvre Museum and Seine River Cruise
Things to do near Paris
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Reims
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Le Havre
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Ghent
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Champagne
- Things to do in Normandy