Fontaine Saint-Michel was sculpted by Gabriel Davioud in 1860 and gives its name to the square where it’s located, Place Saint-Michel. The monumental fountain, located between boulevard Saint-Michel and Place Saint-Andres-des-Arts was commissioned by Baron Georges-Eugene Haussmann as part of Napoleon III’s plans to bring more light and air to the city of Paris.
The fountain depicts the archangel Michael vanquishing Satan, a controversial political symbol at the time hinting at Napoleon vanquishing the revolutionary fervor of the neighborhood. Unlike many of Paris’s fountains, Fontaine Saint-Michel was made from various colors of materials, including red and green marble, blue and yellow stone, and bronze. Place Saint-Michel is a popular meeting spot among both the city’s youth and foreign visitors.
Fontaine Saint-Michel Tours and Activities
Should I book Fontaine Saint-Michel tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Fontaine Saint-Michel 2021?
What's the best way to experience Fontaine Saint-Michel?
- Paris Sightseeing Family Friendly Guided Electric Bike Tour
- See 30 Plus Top Paris Sights with a Fun Guide
- Night Tour of Paris in Electric Bike
- Paris until the heart of the night.
Things to do near Paris
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Reims
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Champagne
- Things to do in Normandy