Oaxaca Culture Museum (Museo de las Culturas de Oaxaca)
One of the best places to visit if you want to learn more about the history of Oaxaca in particular, the Oaxaca Culture Museum offers an insight into the state’s pre-Hispanic past and post-colonization present. Most visitors stop by independently to browse the exhibits, although some city tours of Oaxaca also include a stop at the Museo de las Culturas de Oaxaca, alongside other key landmarks such as Santo Domingo and the city's many markets.
Things to Know Before You Go
Signage is in Spanish at the Oaxaca Culture Museum; however, English-language audio guides are available for a small fee.
Expect to spend around an hour at the museum.
The Museo de las Culturas de Oaxaca is accessible for wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The Oaxaca Culture Museum is situated next to the Santo Domingo Church in the center of downtown Oaxaca. Just blocks from the so-called “tourist corridor” of Calle Alcalá, it’s within easy walking distance of most central accommodations and attractions. Most city tours pass by the museum, with some including time to enjoy the exhibits.
When to Get There
The Oaxaca Culture Museum is typically open from 10am to roughly 6pm, Tuesday through Saturday. It’s best to get there early to enjoy the exhibits more or less to yourself, however the museum can also provide a cool respite from the beating Oaxaca sun in the early afternoon.
Other Museums in Oaxaca
Oaxaca is home to a wealth of museums that are worth exploring on your next visit. The Oaxaca Stamp Museum (Museo de la Filatelia de Oaxaca) is a surprisingly engaging stop, while the MACO (Museo de Arte Contemporáneo) is a must-see for art enthusiasts in Oaxaca and has a fantastic on-site gift shop.
- Things to do in Puerto Escondido
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Mexico City
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Santo Domingo de Guzmán Church (Templo de Santo Domingo de Guzmán)
- Oaxaca Ethnobotanical Garden (Jardín Etnobotánico de Oaxaca)
- Casa Crespo
- Benito Juárez Home (Casa de Benito Juárez)
- 20 de Noviembre Market (Mercado 20 de Noviembre)
- Cacaluta Bay (Bahia de Cacaluta)
- Abastos Market (Central de Abastos)
- La Ventanilla
- Benito Juarez Market (Mercado Benito Juarez)
- Tamayo Museum (Museo Tamayo)
- Monte Albán
- Cascadas de Llano Grande (Llano Grande Waterfalls)
- San Antonio Arrazola
- Tule Tree (Arbol del Tule)
- Cuilapam Convent (Ex Convento de Cuilápam)