Promenade des Anglais
Head to the Promenade des Anglais for a taste of everyday life in Nice. Stroll past skateboarders and young families en route to well-known landmarks, such as the Palais de la Mediterranee, Place Massena, and Hotel Negresco, in addition to some of the poshest beaches in Provence.
Book a Provence day trip to bundle your visit with nearby attractions in Cannes, St. Paul de Vence, or even neighboring Monaco. While a sightseeing tour or bike tour provides the benefit of a local guide, you can also go on your own on dedicated walking, biking, and skating lanes, stopping to rest at the iconic blue chairs and cabanas lining the paved walkway.
Things to Know Before You Go
Dress for the weather, with plenty of sun protection in summer.
Reserve a table or lounge chair if you’re planning on stopping at a private beach along the walkway.
Expect large crowds during the summertime high season.
Be cautious of pickpockets; lockers are available at some private beaches.
How to Get There
To reach the Promenade des Anglais, just head to the water. The promenade spans the entire Nice coast from the Nice Cote d’Azur Airport to the Quai des Etats Unis in Old Town, making it impossible to miss. Consider taking public transportation via Bus 98 or walking, as parking can be difficult.
When to Get There
Thanks to Nice’s temperate Mediterranean climate, the promenade is pleasant year-round. Visit early in the day for the fewest crowds, or see the promenade at its peak on a Sunday afternoon. The promenade periodically hosts special events, such as the Nice Carnival (Carnival de Nice); check with local authorities for an up-to-date event calendar.
British Mark on the French Riviera
Though now one of the best-recognized destinations in France, the promenade was actually conceptualized and funded by the British in the 1820s, earning its name as the British Walkway.
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Provence
- Nice Old Town (Vieux Nice)
- Massena Art & History Museum (Musée Masséna)
- Nice Museum of Asian Arts (Musée des Arts Asiatiques)
- St. Nicholas Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas)
- Hotel Negresco
- Molinard Perfumery (Maison Molinard)
- Massena Square (Place Masséna)
- Quai des États-Unis
- Cours Saleya Flower Market (Marché aux Fleurs Cours Saleya)
- Castle Hill (Colline du Château)
- Marc Chagall National Museum (Musée National Marc Chagall)
- Quai Lunel
- Place Garibaldi
- National Sport Museum (Musée National du Sport)
- Chateau de Cremat