The Italian-style baroque Place Garibaldi is one of the main meeting points in Nice Old Town. It was built in the 18th century and is named after the Italian military general Giuseppe Garibaldi. Much of the square is closed to traffic, making it a pleasant place to stop for something to eat or drink. Visitors will find the famous seafood restaurant Café de Turin here as well as a statue of Garibaldi presiding over a central fountain.
Once a month the square plays host to a flea market selling French antiques and collectibles. Sightseeing tours of Nice often stop at the square—visitors can join a tour to learn more about the square’s history and architecture.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Place Garibaldi's flea market is held on the third Saturday of the month all year round.
- The square is wheelchair accessible.
- Try and spot the trompe l’oeil windows painted on the buildings.
How to Get There
Place Garibaldi is in the heart of Nice Old Town, where the main streets of avenue de la République, boulevard Jean Jaurès, rue Catherine Ségurane, and rue Cassini meet. It’s accessible on foot from other points in the old town, and the city tram stops at the square. Visitors can also choose to join a guided bike or walking tour to see the square.
When to Get There
The square is open all year round. It’s at its most pleasant in the summer months when outdoor tables and street musicians create a charming atmosphere. Most bars and restaurants on the square are open daily until late.
Visit the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Just around the corner from Place Garibaldi is the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMAC). Its collection is made up of over 1,300 works dating from the postwar era to the present day. Both European and American artists are represented, from Yves Klein’s famous blue paintings to the work of contemporary artist Niki de Saint Phalle.
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Provence
- Castle Hill (Colline du Château)
- Quai Lunel
- Cours Saleya Flower Market (Marché aux Fleurs Cours Saleya)
- Quai des États-Unis
- Massena Square (Place Masséna)
- Molinard Perfumery (Maison Molinard)
- Marc Chagall National Museum (Musée National Marc Chagall)
- Mt. Boron (Mont Boron)
- Massena Art & History Museum (Musée Masséna)
- Matisse Museum (Musée Matisse)
- Cimiez Monastery (Monastere de Cimiez)
- Hotel Negresco
- St. Nicholas Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas)
- Villefranche Cruise Port (Port de la Santé)
- Nice Old Town (Vieux Nice)